Room / Office:
+90 212 359 7294
+90 212 287 2456
- Ph.D. 2010. Robotic Systems Laboratory, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland
- M.S. 2005. Mechanical Engineering, Koç University, Istanbul, Turkey
- B.S. 2003. Mechanical Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- Currently: Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Bogazici University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC), Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Northwestern University, USA, 2011-2012
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Robotic Systems Laboratory, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, 2010-2011
- Visiting Scholar, Laboratory of Intelligent Mechanical Systems, Northwestern University, USA, 2008
- ME 242 Dynamics
- ME 304 Experimental Eng.
- ME 331 Mechatronics
- ME 426 Mechanisms
- ME 530 Advanced Dynamics
- ME 634 Robotics
- ME 636 System Modeling & Identification
- AUTO 532 Mechatronics in AE
- Haptics, Haptic Interfaces, Biomedical Simulations, Human-Machine Interaction
- Surgical Robotics, Medical Devices & Instrumentation, Rehabilitation Robotics
- Modeling & Analysis of Mechatronic Systems, Experimental Evaluation and Control
Awards & Honors:
- 2011 – 2012 Prospective Researcher Fellowship, Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF)
- 2010 Best PhD Thesis Award, EuroHaptics Society
- 2003 - 2005 Full scholarship, Mechanical Engineering Department, Koc University
- E. Samur. Performance Metrics for Haptic Interfaces. Springer Series on Touch and Haptic Systems, 2012. ISBN 978-1-4471-4224-9
- E. Samur, F. Lionel, and H. Bleuler. Design and Evaluation of a Novel Haptic Interface for Endoscopic Simulation. IEEE Transactions on Haptics, PP(99), 2011. Pre-print (10.1109/TOH.2011.70)
- L. Santos-Carreras, K. Leuenberger, E. Samur, R. Gassert, and H. Bleuler. Tactile Feedback Improves Performance in a Palpation Task: Results in a VR based testbed. PRESENCE: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, 2012. In print
- R. Beira, L. Santos-Carreras, A. Sengul, E. Samur, R. Clavel and H. Bleuler. An External Positioning Mechanism for Robotic Surgery. JSME Technical Journal, 5(5): 1094-1105, 2011.
- E. Samur, M. Sedef, C. Basdogan, L. Avtan, and O. Duzgun. A Robotic Indenter for Minimally Invasive Measurement and Characterization of Soft Tissue Response. Medical Image Analysis, 11: 361-373, 2007.
- M. Sedef, E. Samur, and C. Basdogan. Real-Time Finite Element Simulation of Linear Viscoelastic Tissue Behavior Based on Experimental Data. IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, Special Issue on Virtual and Augmented Reality Supported Medical Simulators, 26(6): 58-68, 2006.
- Peer-reviewed Conference
- E. Samur, F. Lionel, and H. Bleuler. Experimental Evaluation of a Haptic Interface for Endoscopic Simulation. In Proc. of IEEE World Haptics Conference, June 21-24, 2011.
- C. Emery, E. Samur, O. Lambercy, H. Bleuler, and R. Gassert. Haptic/VR Clinical Assessment Tool for Fine Motor Control. In Proc. of EuroHaptics, July 8-10, 2010.
- E. Samur, J. Edward Colgate, and Michael A. Peshkin. Psychophysical evaluation of a variable friction tactile interface. In Proc. SPIE Vol. 7240, February 10, 2009.
- E. Samur, F. Lionel, U. Spaelter, H. Bleuler, D. Hellier, and S. Ourselin. A Haptic Interface with Motor/Brake System for Colonoscopy Simulation. In Proc. of IEEE Haptics Symposium, March 8-12, 2008.
- E. Samur, F. Wang, U. Spaelter, and H. Bleuler. Generic and Systematic Evaluation of Haptic Interfaces Based on Testbeds. In Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS'07), 2007.
- P. Maillard, L. Flaction, E. Samur, D. Hellier, J. Passenger, and H. Bleuler. Instrumentation of a Clinical Colonoscope for Surgical Simulation. In Proc. of the 30th Annual International IEEE EMBS Conference, pages 70-73, 2008.
- D. Hellier, E. Samur, J. Passenger, Spaelter Ulrich, Frimmel Hans, Appleyard Mark, Bleuler Hannes, and S. Ourselin. A modular simulation framework for colonoscopy using a new haptic device. In Proc. of the 16th Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference (MMVR), Stud Health Technol Inform, Amsterdam, 2008.
- E. Samur, U. Spaelter, L. Flaction, P. Maillard, R. Wuthrich, and H. Bleuler. Control of a Haptic Interface and a Micromachining Setup with an Open Source Real-Time System. In Proc. of 3rd ASME/IEEE Int. Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications, September 4-7, 2007.
- F. Wang, L. Duratti, E. Samur, U. Spaelter, and H. Bleuler. A Computer-Based Real-Time Simulation of Interventional Radiology. In Proc. of 29th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), 2007.
- L. Duratti, F. Wang, E. Samur, and H. Bleuler. A Real-Time Simulator for Interventional Radiology. In Proc. of the 15th ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology, 2008
- U. Spaelter, E. Samur, and H. Bleuler. A 2-DOF Friction Drive for Haptic Surgery Simulation of Hysteroscopy. In Proc. of the IFAC Symposium on Robot Control SYROCO, 2006.
- M. Sedef, E. Samur, C. Basdogan. Visual and Haptic Simulation of Linear Viscoelastic Tissue Behavior Based on Experimental Data. In Proc. of IEEE 14th Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, March 25-26, 2006.
- E. Samur, M. Sedef, C. Basdogan, L. Avtan, O. Duzgun. A Robotic Indenter for Minimally Invasive Characterization of Soft Tissues. In Proc. of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS) Conference, Vol. 1281C, pp 713-718, 2005.
- E. Samur, L. Santos-Carreras, A. Sengul, G. Rognini, S. Marchesotti, and H. Bleuler. Role of Haptics in Surgical Robotics: Report on a Workshop. Editorial News of IEEE Transactions on Haptics, 2011.