Room / Office:
+90 212 359 7353
+90 212 287 2456
- Ph.D. 1994 - 1998. Materials Science and Engineering, Louisiana State University, USA
- M.S. 1989 - 1991. Metals Education, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
- B.S. 1984 - 1988. Metallurgy Education, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Assoc. Professor, Boğaziçi University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2011-
- Assistant Professor, Boğaziçi University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2005-2011
- Post Doctoral Research Associate, University of Colorado, Department of Aerospace Engineering, 2003-2004
- Post Doctoral Research Associate, University of Florida, Materials Science and Engineering, 2000-2003
- Assistant Professor, Muğla University, Faculty of Tech. Ed., 1998-2000
- Researcher, Southern University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 1997-1998
- Teaching Assistant, Lousiana State University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 1996-1998
- ME 210 Materials Science and Engineering (Non-ME students)
- ME 212 Materials Science and Engineering
- ME 411 Materials Engineering
- ME 58C Solidification and Single Crystal Growth
- ME 615 High Temperature Materials
- AUTO 541 Materials and Manufacturing in AE
- AUTO 584 Materials for Automobile Bodies
- Alloy design: superalloys for jet engines, magnesium for light-weight structures.
- Solidification and single crystal growth of semiconductors, superalloys, intermetallics, oxides, diamond, etc.
- Laser materials processing: powder additive manufacturing, cladding, welding, brazing.
- Physical and mechanical metallurgy of materials: Microstructure formation via solid-solid or melt-solid transformations; Microstructure-property relations; Mechanical (tensile, creep, fatigue) and thermal expansion properties.
- Material characterization: Light microscopy; Electron microscopy (SEM, TEM); X-ray techniques; Auger, XPS, EDS, WDS, EPMA, 4-point probe, optical and stylus profilometer, etc.
Awards & Honors:
- 1st place among the graduates of 1988 ,Marmara University TEF, Undergraduate Metallurgy Program, 1998
- Turkish Higher Education Council Scholarship for Graduate Studies Abroad, 1993
- S. Aidin; L. P. Yousefi; E. Balikci, "Growing Single Crystals with a Low Melt Height and an Axial Vibration", Crystal Growth & Design. Vol. 16, issue:4, pp. 2429-2440, APR 2016
- M. Montakhab; M. Bacak; E. Balikci, “Low Melt Height Solidification of Superalloys", etallurgical and Materials Transactions, vol. 47A, issue:6, pp. 3031-3039, JUN 2016
- Altincekic, A; E. Balikci, “Precipitate Rafting in a Polycrystalline Superalloy During Compression Creep”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, vol. 45A, issue:13, pp. 5923-5936, 2014
- Altincekic, A; E. Balikci, , "Precipitate Size in the Superalloy IN738LC During Compression Creep", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A-physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, vol.44a, issue:6, pp. 2487-2498, 2013
- E. Balikci, A. Dario, H.O. Sicim, "Single crystal growth of germanium - silicon alloys", Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, vol.15, issue:1-2, pp. 25-30, 2013
- A. Dario, H.O. Sicim, E. Balikci , "A comparative study on the growth of germanium-silicon single crystals grown by the vertical Bridgman and axial heat processing techniques", Journal of Crystal Growth, vol.351, issue:1, pp. 1-8, 2012
- A. Dario, H.O. Sicim, E. Balikci , "A new approach for dopant distribution and morphological stability in crystals grown by the axial heat processing (AHP) technique", Journal of Crystal Growth, vol.337, issue:1, pp. 65-71, 2011
- E. Balikci; O. Yaman, "Investigation on liquid bath nitriding of selected steels", Surface Engineering, vol.27, issue:8, pp. 609-615, 2011
- A. Dario, H.O. Sicim, E. Balikci, "Germanium-silicon single crystal growth by the axial heat processing (AHP) technique", Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 318, issue:1, pp. 1057-1061, 2011
- Ercan Balikci and D. Erdeniz: “Multimodal Precipitation in the Superalloy IN738LC”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, volume 41A, June 2010, pp. 1391-1398.
- D. Erdeniz and Ercan Balikci: “Precipitate Formation and Evolution in the Superalloy IN738LC” Rare Metal Materials and Engineering, volume 38, suppl. 3, December 2009, pp. 142-146.
- A. K. Dwarapureddy, Ercan Balikci, S. Ibekwe, and A. Raman: “Activation energy for growth in single size distribution and the dissolution features of γ′ precipitates in the superalloy IN738LC” Journal of Materials Science, volume 43 (6), March 2008, pp. 1802- 1810.
- Ercan Balikci and A. Raman: “The Relationship Between Activation Energy And Precipitate Size For Precipitate Agglomeration”, Journal of Materials Science, volume 43 (3), February 2008, pp. 927-932.
- A. Deal, Ercan Balikci, and R. Abbaschian “Enhanced Morphological Stability in Sb-Doped Ge”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, volume 38A, January 2007, pp. 100-115.
- I. Roy, Ercan Balikci, S. Ibekwe, A. Raman, “Precipitate growth activation energy requirements in the duplex size & distribution in the superalloy IN738LC”, Journal of Materials Science, volume 40, December 2005, pp. 6207-6215.
- Ercan Balikci and R. Abbaschian, “The Seebeck Coefficient of the Solid and Liquid Germanium”, Journal of Materials Science, volume 40, March 2005, pp. 1475-1479.
- Sveta V. Bykova, Vladimir D. Golyshev, Michael A. Gonik, Vladimir B. Tsvetovsky, Ercan Balikci, Andrew Deal, Reza Abbaschian, Marina P. Marchenko, Igor. V. Frjazinov, Vladimir N. Vlasov and Jury A. Serebrjakov, “The experimental & numerical investigation of instability of faceted Ge doped by Sb growth on the base of AHP method”, The Journal of Crystal Growth, volume 275, February 2005, pp. e229-e236.
- Ercan Balikci, A. Deal, and R. Abbaschian, “Detached Crystal Growth from Melt by the Axial Heat Processing (AHP) Technique”, The Journal of Crystal Growth, volume 271, October 2004, pp. 37-45.
- Ercan Balikci, A. Deal, R. Abbaschian, et al. “A Study On The Morphological Stability Of Faceted Interfaces In Antimony Doped Germanium Single Crystals Grown By The AHP Method”, Journal of Crystal Growth and Design, volume 4(2), March-April 2004, pp. 377-381.
- Ercan Balikci, A. Deal, and R. Abbaschian, “Antimony Doped Germanium Single Crystals Grown From The Melt By The Axial Heat Processing (AHP) Technique”, the Journal of Crystal Growth, volume 262, February 2004, pp. 581-593.
- Ercan Balikci and A. Raman: “Characteristics of the Precipitates at High Temperatures in Ni-base Polycrystalline Superalloy IN738LC”, Journal of Materials Science, volume 35(14), 15 July 2000, pp. 3593-3597.
- Ercan Balikci, R.A. Mirshams, and A. Raman, “Tensile Strengthening in Nickel-Base Superalloy IN738LC”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, volume 9(3), June 2000, pp. 324-329.
- Ercan Balikci, “Corrosion of Metal Matrix Composites”, Journal of Corrosion, Corrosion Association, METU, Ankara, Turkey, volume 10:1-3, May 2000, pp. 3-9.